This is a mixed post. There is a lot going on here, but not things I’m ready to blog about in detail. I’ve submitted for some grants, L has interviews that are going well, and we will soon know what our options are. Let’s just said in some versions life will continue much as normal, and in others I’m looking at major changes that could result in much more frequently blogging and cooking experiments. A teaser, I know, but you’ll get the full story later.
For the moment I’ve been in a situation this quarter that has really made me interrogate what I do and why I do what I do. This is the basic question of why study history and even if I can’t articulate that, I can articulate one thing: I don’t study history to tell heroic stories, to find role models, to highlight the best parts of humanity in dark times. This is probably why my hackles raise whenever students (professors) want to talk about resistance in the Holocaust as a way to find meaning and bright lights in dark moments. I want to study the dark moments. I want to know, to understand the worst parts of humanity because at base I think that Hobbes is right: we are all nasty brutish creatures who are only humanized by the social structures we create (which is pretty scary when you see how many of our social structures – religion, governments, families – are designed to perpetuate inequality and oppression). In fact, it’s that basic pessimistic view of humanity that makes me so nervous – I don’t think we’re good people with a few bad apples; I think were bad apples. Or maybe, neutral apples. Getting away from apples, I agree with one of my colleagues comments that “human beings always take the path of least resistance” combined with the belief that humans (reinforced in our day and age by capitalism) will always work to promote their own self-interest over that of another (maybe biologically linked to our survival?). I take very serious issue with teaching history out of love for an object/place/person, that does not adequate weigh the light and the dark. Not passion, not drive, but love of a subject that blinds us to the whole picture. Maybe this is why I like the dark moments, you can’t fall in love with them. You are forced to see the horrible things humans do to on another, how they get accustomed to doing it, why the might enjoy doing it, and in the instances, where appropriate, of those who are willing to think outside of themselves and help other for the “better of humanity” (which, of course always depends on what “humanity” we’re talking about – but I guess here assuming a truly universal notion of universalism, humanism, and reason from the Enlightenment, with a heavy dose of ethical liberal socialism).
And can you consider yourself to be a historian if you can’t deal with the “bad”? Wouldn’t it be a little like being a doctor who is unwilling to examine a patient’s legs b/c the feet freak them out?
Ultimately this all underlies my approach to history, which is one in which I see history as an experiment that can’t be repeated, or a “case study” of how human beings responded to certain stimuli given certain social, economic, political, conditions. I know I’ve blogged about this before, and most of you don’t care, but I’m in a situation in which I can’t confront what I see to be a problematic approach to my field of study, and I need some sort of outlet for it.
Ugh. Sorry you have to suffer through those moments in lecture....... reminds me of the samurai movie moment in you-know-who's class. *bang head on desk*
ReplyDeletep.s. you know your teaching is WAYYY better. That's why you're doing this. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat was a very well written post and a topic totally worth writing about again.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about it a lot. The longer I'm here as a TA/observer, the more striking the generation gap seems to be between the "cohorts" and the colleagues.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to cover methodology, general philosophy about the intellectual pursuit as well as teaching, and thinking about the career path (the rant I heard on the "disgusting nepotism" of partner hires... sheesh!).
What's funny is I've found that the comment "I don't like theory", "I don't do theory", "I don't think theory tells us anything" has become my historical equivalent of "You know I'm not a racist/sexist but..." On a fundamental level I think that a theoretically-informed/defined history forces you to make a clear decision re governing methodology and the motivations behind your work. It also generally means that you're read enough to decide on "your" theory/foucault/derrida, which generally means that you recognize not only the historians role in crafting narrative, but that you're trying to do something bigger than telling the world about your love of France or Italy or goats or risotto.
There will be more, oh yes, there will be more...
My tendency at this point would be to write a comment that is longer than the original post. I will not do that. Instead, I'll make a short comment that is sure to be totally and completely misinterpreted. Ready? Let's go!
ReplyDeleteAs a historian, I take issue with the bad/good dichotomy. It is good for teaching, at least at first, but ultimately the main thing that I want to communicate to students is that "things are complicated."
Of course, disaggregating my personal sense of humanity from the profession I have chosen is not always easy. I always try to remind myself that the bad guy doesn't always know he is a bad guy.
Meh.
D'accord. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree. Goats -- and my relationship with them -- are terribly complicated.
ReplyDeleteI don't get the whole aversion to "theory," especially since much of it comes from grounded, stodgy research in the archives. Foucault didn't come up with his ideas without doing a lot of hard work. He had to slog it out and dig for what he produced. Can the "theory" haters not appreciate this? I would get on my students -- and myself -- for cutting corners and relying too heavily on theoretical frameworks in substitution of thick reading and description, but it is silly to discount theory produced from a lot of hard work.